Magnum is a photographic collective founded in 1947. Magnum photographers are a rarity, and the agency is self-selecting, with a 4 year long process. The membership has evolved over the years to encompass the work of almost 100 diverse photographers.
We have offices in New York, London, and Paris, and work with press, publishers, advertising, television, galleries and museums across the world. We have a traveling roster of over 100 exhibitions, education initiatives focused on the next generation of visual storytellers, an e-commerce platform, and an editorial platform telling stories across art, culture, news and photography to our audience of over 5.5 million.
About the role
- Reporting to the Production Director, the digitisation team converts our analogue collections via scanning or photography to enable them to be accessed and preserved digitally. In addition, the team will also take delivery of newly created work by our photographers to integrate with Magnum’s archive.
- The role is based at Magnum’s new archive facility in Fort St Cyr (Montigny le Bretonneux) within Médiathèque de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine (MAP). Visits to our other offices or our photographer members homes may be required on occasion.
- The team will include a digitisation assistant and occasional contract workers or volunteers.
- Working with the Archive Director, you will discover previously undigitised works and update existing digital assets before delivering to internal departments who then connect the content with our audiences.
- This role contributes to the overall operation of Magnum Photos by creating thousands more images within the digital archive and improves quality, audience engagement and income generation. It is a rare opportunity to work with a famous collection of iconic photographs and world renowned photographers.
- Based in Montigny le Bretonneux near St Quentin-en-Yvelines, this is a full time role, 40hrs per week (9:30am - 18:30pm Monday to Friday).
Who you are
You have a passion for photography and history with a high level of concentration and attention to detail. You are a specialist in photographic digitisation and post-production (as this will form most of your team’s work) and you are a motivational team leader. You are equally comfortable working on large scale digitisation projects or single image requests, as required. You have a positive, problem solving approach and take great pride in the results of your work.
What you’ll do
- Provide consistent throughput of high quality digital images for the Magnum Photos archive.
- Digitise negatives, slides and prints using various digital capture methods working from lists provided by our Production and Archive Directors.
- Provide on-demand image orders for stakeholders and clients.
- Process and upload newly created digital images supplied by our photographers.
- Maintain high standards of image quality and metadata.
- Manage multiple digitization projects simultaneously, balancing competing priorities.
- Report regularly to management on progress towards goals and objectives.
- Maintain digitization equipment and manage associated IT requirements at the archive facility.
- Contribute to digital asset storage planning.
Essential skills and experience
- Must possess high level retouching skills using Adobe Photoshop.
- Expertise in mass digitisation and a strong understanding of collections management and metadata standards.
- Experienced and careful conservation handler of fragile, valuable items such as photographic negatives, slides and prints.
- Excellent project management experience.
- An ability to communicate effectively with staff and external stakeholders of all levels of understanding regarding digital assets.
- Able to work on both Mac and PC systems.
- Fluent in English and French language.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience using DT systems/Phase One capture system hardware.
- Experience using Imacon/Hasselblad virtual drum scanner hardware.
- Experience using Capture One CH/Pro software.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google docs software.
If you would like to be considered for this role please apply here.